Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday, September 10


David's first day of school was today. He was excited about going. We actually got to go on Friday and meet his teachers and play in the classroom. He didn't want to leave when our time was up!! Last night when I told him that he was going to go back to play at his school, he did his sudden intake of breath in surprise and gladness. He did great going right in and getting down to the business of playing. He made coffee and played with the blocks to start his day. I came home and worked at cleaning house. Things have gotten a little out of control with the weeks leading up to the start of school being so busy. I did treat myself to some entertainment while working, though, Rick and Bubba play loud and clear over the computer with my broadband connection. It made me feel like home!! So I cleaned for about an hour and then walked down to Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice Latte as a treat. Yum! And it was cool enough here today to really enjoy it!! Then it was time to go get David. He was tired, but he didn't nap after we came home and ate lunch. I tried, but he wasn't going for it. He really should have, though, because by 5 he was pooped and extremely grumpy. Just in time for me to need to be in the kitchen getting dinner together. Arrgh!!! Needless to say, he crashed hard at bedtime.

Yesterday we went out to Glouchester, MA (on Cape Ann) for a New England Clam Bake at the home of the director of the Sloan Fellows program. The homes out there are huge and georgeous!!! I had my first lobster, too. I'd never eaten a whole one before. Luckily, there were people sitting at out table who knew the best way to crack that sucker open. It was good. It helped to take our minds off of the home front. We have some amazing friends who are completely remodeling our house while we're here in MA. They deserve medals of honor for bravery for even attempting the task!! I'm extremely excited!! I have absolutely no nack for home decorating, so not much has changed in our house since we moved in over 12 years ago - except that the two pack rats living there have bred three more little pack rats and we have more stuff than three families would need!! I'm just trying to think about how much we're going to enjoy the changes - especially getting rid of our lovely pink carpet!!! Thanks, Julie and Michael! We love you! No matter what ends up in the dumpster!

Saturday we went to Peabody to get more stuff. After years of ordering from CBD (Christian Book Distributors), we now live less than an hour's drive from the warehouse! They had a big sale on Saturday. It was amazing! I could have wandered and looked at everyting for hours, but the kids were with us, so we kept our visit short. They have another sale in November, and Beverly Lewis will be there signing books. On our way out of town, we got a call from the Australian couple we met at church the first of June. They invited us over for a BBQ. It was a nice way to end the day.

Jamie and Rachel are still enjoying school. Jamie seems quite happy - he's even been singing a lot lately. He really likes several of his teachers. He had a good bit of homework tonight, but he stuck with it and got it all done. We had to research how hot dogs came to America and his name. Rachel is busy making a family tree for school and learning about family traditions that came from different cultures. She's going to be learning about Mass history in social studies this year. That's going to be lots of fun because we'll all learn a lot about the area while we're here.

3 comments:

Dana said...

I have really been enjoying reading your blogs over these past several months. You guys are having quite the adventure. It is so great that you are going and doing all this stuff. Ryan and I lived in Minnesota for 3 1/2 years and we didn't explore the area a tenth as much as you have your area already! I wish I could go back in time and take a page out of your book. Its wonderful that you're keeping this blog. Now you will have a scrapbook of your year there that you can look back at and keep fresh in your memory. I can't believe how different it seems to be up there for school. Thanks for allowing all of us here in Bama to vicariously enjoy the Boston area :) It makes me want to plan a vacation there!

Sonja said...

If you come in the next year, we definitely have a place for you to stay!! I hope to take this blog and convert it into a scrapbook that I can keep. Some dear friends gave me a beautiful scrapbook as a going away gift. I have lots more pictures than I'm putting in the blog, so it will be even more special.

Dana said...

That'd be great if I could "make it happen". Thanks for the offer. Your scrapbook will be a true family treasure. I need to get into that.