Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday, October 11

How in the world did it get to be October???? We've gotten into good routines here in Belmont. All the kids are enjoying school. David even likes the toys at his school so much that he doesn't want to go home when I pick him up!! Rachel is loving riding the bus and continues to make new friends. Currently she and her friend Emily are busily planning a Halloween party. It's supposed to be at Emily's house, but we'll see. Jamie still enjoys the independence of riding his bike to and from school. He has also gotten an after-school job. He takes the landdog (our landlord's poodle) for a walk every weekday afternoon and makes $1 a day. He is a very responsible employee, and this first job should look quite good on his resumee!

I have been busy with working on the children's Halloween party for SF08. I have a committee full of willing helpers none of whom celebrate Halloween in their home countries. I feel right at home as the "Halloween expert". My friend Susan (the coast guard wife) has actually jumped in and is helping out too. We're doing a party like a carnival with games, crafts, and a costume parade through the student center. I've also introduced a whole group of women to Oriental Trading Company. That was fun!! Too bad I don't get a commission!

I've also nailed down my children on what they're going to be for Halloween and ordered their costumes. David is going to be "Rocket" from Little Einsteins, Rachel is going to be Clepoatra, and Jamie is going to be the young Tom Riddle (it about killed me to order a Slytherin robe and tie). He is quickly making his way to the end of HP book 6 and says that he's going to jump right in to book 7. I won't be surprised if he's finished by Christmas.

Family wise, we've done lots of hiking over the past two weeks. The last weekend in September, we discovered the Belmont Habitat (a Mass Audobon reserve) just a few miles from our house. There are lots of trails to walk on and the weather was beautiful the last weekend of Sept. We took a picnic lunch out on Saturday and ate in a field, under a tree. There is also a house you can tour, but it was closed due to hosting a wedding that day.
The two families from Mexico from SF08 hosted a Mexican Fiesta that same weekend. They really went all out!! Tim came home with a sombrerro, me with moraccas, and the kids with goodie bags. The food was catered by an authentic Mexican restruant. It was very good, but a little different from Las Vias.

Jamie and Rachel have both started Saturday Morning Music School - a music/band/orchestra program held at Chenery Middle School. Rachel is still enjoying her violin, but is tired of just plucking it. She's ready to bow!! Jamie has started drumming all over the place. We may end up with a drummer yet. Time will tell.

We had a long holiday weekend October 6-9, so we decided to head up to Maine in hopes of seeing fall color and maybe a moose. The trees were in high color (not quite peak) and georgeous!! No luck on the moose, though. Well, maybe next time. I'll write more about all the details of the trip in my next posting. Until then. . . God bless!!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi Sonja!

All your scenic pictures, and of course I'm checking out the strollers...Looks like someone had a Maclaren and the double looks like a Phil & Ted's. Do me a favor and ask about the double if it is a Phil & Ted--if the owner really LOVES it and what age her children were when she started using it. Is it easy to fold and fairly small? How does she deal with the lack of storage space?? I desperately want one, although I'm not sure that I actually NEED one...HHHMMMMM, I'm consumed with stroller envy!!!

Hope all is well. I don't have your e-mail address, so I can't e-mail you at home! I think you have ours--e-mail me if/when you get a chance!

Hello to all the McKelvys!!

Love, Margaret

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you all are doing well! Miss you.

Unknown said...

Beth is planning to be Cleopara too. I just went to the mailbox and there was her costume! It's from Lillian Vernon and it's about 4" too long, so I guess I'll be hemming it. Beth loves the hair piece. She wanted to be Cleopatra because she could wear snake tattoos. Yipee. J.T. is going to be Dash from the Incredibles. His costume was just ordered yesterday.
Love you guys!
Karen

Matt & Janet said...

Hey Sonja!

Guess Jamie better watch out for Ben this year - he's planning on going as Harry. He thought about going as Draco, simply because he's blond, but we bought black hair spray, so we should be able to transform him. Mary is still bouncing around between Princess Leia and Hermione, with an occasional thought toward being Darth Vader! Glad to hear ya'll have a good routine going, and everyone is liking their schools.

Take care,

Janet