Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tuesday, June 5
Today we spent the day running around town (Belmont). We started at the town clerk's office to check on getting a proof of residence letter for the schools. They sent us to the Light Board to get a current bill showing the service was in our name at our address. (Showing the lease agreement wasn't enough.) Oh, and it really is a Light bill up here because there is no air conditioning, and the heat, water heater, and stove are all gas & home heating oil. (The heating oil will cost $180 a month. They do an average and spread it out over the whole year so you don't have astronomical heating oil bills in the winter.) Then we went back to the town clerk's office. From there, we went to the library to get our library cards. The Belmont library is a little over twice the size of Hartselle's. The children's library is downstairs. The kids filled out their own information cards and took care of getting their own library cards. David and I played in the toddler area. There was a large, wooden alphabet puzzle and a play kitchen there. There was also a special small bookshelf that was filled with board books for little ones. David was able to go over and choose a book for me to read to him. I think that he'll enjoy going to the library. Rachel checked out a book about outer space. Jamie didn't get a book, since he's in the middle of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and is trying to finish it and the next book before his turn to read our copy of #7. The city pool is right next door to the library, but it isn't open yet. It seems to be a fairly large pool, and someone told me that it's the oldest public pool still in operation in the U.S. I'll have to check that one out. The pool is scheduled to open when school gets out later this month (the 18th I think).
Then it was back to home to try to get David down for a nap. Which he ditched, again. I think that our napping days are over. Sigh. . . . We did have some good reading time together, though. Right now his favorite book is "Hi, Pizza Man" - which was one of Rachel's favorites when she was little. She even commented on the fact when she heard me reading it to David recently.
After the failed nap attempt, we all went outside to play for awhile. David & I ran around playing Buzz Lightyear, while Rachel rollerskated and Jamie played with a tennis ball "dart" game. We came inside in time to watch Arthur. Then I cooked my first full meal in our little kitchen. We had chicken & rice, corn on the cob (from a really fabulous farmer's market nearby), and broccoli. My little kitchen was about 100 degrees by the time supper was ready. So, I'm going to be doing simple suppers or take out once it gets really hot. What a great excuse not to cook (it's too hot). We'll have to see how it all works out. Tim made it home by 6:15. Yea!! and we all sat down to a family meal. After supper, Jamie & I ventured out to the movie theater to see Pirates 3. I liked it, but it did get a little long. Did anyone stay for the extra scene after the credits? Only Jamie, me, and one other couple stayed behind at our showing. Ok. That's it for this day.

3 comments:

Julie said...

We went to the Hartselle pool yesterday. It wasn't the same without y'all. We will have to catch up in July. It is at least 90 here this week, so the pool is the only place to be. Miss you.

Dana said...

My kitchen gets very hot in the summer too, so I try not to cook anything in the oven at all or on the stove for long.

I did see P3 and stayed for the scene afterwards. I cried so hard and was irritable afterwards. I did NOT want it to end that way, even though it was beautifully sad.

Sonja said...

It was beautifully sad. I really wanted the ending to be different - like marriage made the "curse" null and void because his heart had already been taken.